The Sciences - Biology
Biology is a demanding course and requires strong mathematical and scientific skills. Consequently it is recommended that you have studied Triple Science and gained a 6 or above. Alternatively Combined Science at grade 7-7 with Mathematicss at grade 6. Other options may be considered and will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
About This Course
Biology A Level will give you the skills to make connections and associations with all living things around you. Biology literally means the study of life and if that’s not important, what is? Being such a broad topic, you’re bound to find a specific area of interest, plus it opens the door to a fantastic range of interesting careers.
Course Content & Assessment
AS Biology is one year long, with exams at the end. A Level Biology lasts two years, with exams at the end of the second year. Below are the topics you will study in each year.
AS and first year of A Level
- Biological molecules
- Organisms exchange substances with their environment
- Genetic information, variation and relationships between organisms
Second year of A Level
- Energy transfers in and between organisms
- Organisms and their response to changes in their internal and external environments
- Genetics, populations, evolution and ecosystems
- The control of gene expression
What could this course lead to?
Studying A Level Biology gives you a plethora of exciting career options, including: Doctor, Clinical Molecular Geneticist, Nature Conservation Officer, Pharmacologist, Research Scientist, Veterinary Surgeon, Teacher, Marine Biologist or Dentist.